Today I had a craving for a fried mennonite fritter that my friend's mom used to make and serve with watermelon. It's an easy and delicious combination of a salty fritter and the cool, sweet watermelon. The perfect warm, summer day snack!
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Add to
- Beat eggs well
- Put into a 1 cup measuring cup and fill with milk. (This may end up being more or less than the 3/4 cup listed in the ingredients.) add to remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- Roll out the dough to be fairly thin, about 1/8 inch, and cut into strips 2-3 inches by 4-5 inches.
- Cut a slit longways down the center of each strip 1.5-2 inches long. Pull one end through the slit to make a knot.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil in a deep skillet (or use a deep-fat fryer) over medium-high heat, 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Cook dough in small batches (about six at a time) in preheated oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm or at room temperature with fresh, chilled watermelon.